The California Mental Health Services Authority (CalMHSA) — through its Stigma and Discrimination Reduction (SDR) Initiative — will award sponsorships to schools in an effort to engage in and expand the reach of : Each Mind Matters: California’s Mental Health Movement.
If your school would like to promote welcoming, healthy places to learn and live, please join Each Mind Matters and be a Lime Green Ribbon School.
Here’s how the process works:
- Student-run clubs are eligible to apply for this sponsorship.
- These student-run clubs make a commitment to promoting fresh, positive conversations about mental health in California by taking specific actions that reduce stigma and promote wellness, inclusivity, and diversity.
- In return, they become eligible for the Lime Green Ribbon School designation and a one-time award of $500 to help support their efforts. Student-run clubs selected as Lime Green Ribbon Schools will receive:
- Green Ribbon Partner window cling(s) and/or stickers;
- A free supply of green ribbons for public areas or events;
- Each Mind Matters swag to show their commitment to creating mentally healthy places to live and learn;
- A one-time $500 award (to be used to fund your on-campus event; any remaining funds can be used for club operating expenses).
- Identify at least one student club leader and/or school official to be the Lime Green Ribbon School representative for your school. Don’t worry, the role won’t require a lot of time. Do choose someone who enjoys talking with others, supports mental wellness, and would like to participate in California’s Mental Health Movement. This representative will:
• Participate in a brief training with Each Mind Matters (EMM) staff (1 hour, online or by phone);
• Be in charge of coordinating a Mental Health awareness activity on your campus during Mental Health Matters Month in May.
2. Host at least ONE Mental Health Awareness activity during the month of May. This is your chance to get creative! Maybe you want to host a movie night that deals with mental health, or how about a Finals Week pizza and stress relief event, or team up with other events on campus that are about health and wellness or diversity. It’s up to you! EMM will provide a kit for creating an attractive and informative resource table and a toolkit with activity ideas to help you get fresh conversations about mental health started in May; all you have to do is provide space for the materials at your event, and have your representative set-up/tear-down and staff the table.
3. Choose at least TWO of your favorite actions from the list below and have your representative make sure they are implemented:
• Link to www.eachmindmatters.org from your school website. Some ideas for where to share the link:
o On your student life page;
o On your health services site;
o On your campus resource page;
• Share the Lime Green Ribbon in a public area, such as your library, student union, or your health and wellness center. Your sponsorship will include an allotment of ribbons/resource cards, and additional ribbons/cards can be purchased at www.eachmindmatters.org/shop;
• Screen youth-produced films about suicide prevention or mental health that have been created as part of the Directing Change Film Contest. Or even better- get together and submit a film or two of your own! Find more information at www.directingchange.org;
• Share mental health information and resources from EMM widely within your departments for distribution to students;
• Find a speaker’s bureau near you on the Speak Our Minds website and have them present at your next student event;
• Have students write uplifting messages to youth who are hospitalized for mental health reasons and take them to your local mental health facility;
• Host a fund-raising drive at your school and match contributions to mental health organizations in your community;
• Feature stories, resources, and information from EMM about mental health in your student publication(s), especially for May.
4. Be creative and think of your own additional activities that promote wellness and reduce stigma. A greater award amount is possible for 2 schools that demonstrate exemplary efforts and planning for mental health and stigma reduction activities that reach a greater audience and/or extend past the May is Mental Health Matters Month.
Ready to sign up? Simply follow the instructions below! For any questions regarding this sponsorship opportunity, please email Evan.Oliva@EachMindMatters.org. We request all correspondence in writing.
Instructions for Submitting Sponsorship Requests
A sample Sponsorship Request Letter is provided for your convenience. This sample letter is intended to serve as a template for you when drafting your own sponsorship letter.
In order to increase the likelihood of being selected, we request that you be as specific as possible in describing how your club/organization intends to use these funds. All requests MUST be made on official campus letterhead, and be accompanied with a signature from the Lime Green Ribbon School representative.
Please submit your Sponsorship Request Letter electronically via email to email@example.com. In your email submission, please type “Lime Green Ribbon School Sponsorship Request- Name” with your school’s name in the subject line.
If awarded a sponsorship, schools will be required to submit flyers, photos, testimonials, etc. for our records. These materials will be compiled into a report that will be used to continue seeking funding for future EMM Lime Green Ribbon School sponsorships.
Approximately 20 schools will be selected for sponsorships.